It doesn't work on custom lists

Mar 14, 2008 at 2:30 PM
Custom lists doesn't have the "Display settings (powered by Bewise)" entry in General Settings menu. It works with all other lists.
Coordinator
Mar 17, 2008 at 9:50 AM
Hi,

It works if you create your Custom list from "Custom List" template but not from "Custom List in Datasheet View" template.
Mar 17, 2008 at 11:26 AM
Ok I used a workaround

ListDisplaySetting.aspx?List={list_guid}

setting by hand the guid of the list, it works!
But I have another issue: I set some fields to be accessible only to one group. If I use System Account it doesn't work though the System Account user is in the right group. All other users in that group works good.

Thank you, this feature is very very useful for me :-)
Mar 18, 2008 at 12:14 PM
I am using the IT Workspace application template (which includes the Help Desk template as part of it), and this feature does not seem to work on the Service Requests list. I can use the above workaround to look at and modify the Display Settings for the individual fields, but when I set a field (like Priority) to only be displayed on a given form when the user is a member of Team Owners, it didn't seem to make a difference. I logged in as a Team Member, and still saw the field. The developer of this feature is already aware of the issue, and said that this was not tested on the application templates, so I'm not suprised it didn't work, just wanted to throw this out there for anyone who is reading this workaround and wondering why it might not be working for some lists.

-Derek
Coordinator
Mar 18, 2008 at 3:27 PM
Hi,

This feature can't work for all type of lists due to the developpment solution ... sorry.
Library (document, pictures, ...) and some other templates support (like the one you talk about) requires specific developpement.

Suchii
Coordinator
Mar 18, 2008 at 3:37 PM
Hi micky78,

To add "Display Setting ..." to the "Custom List in Datasheet View" setting, you can :
- Edit the file listdisplaysetting.xml from C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\TEMPLATE\FEATURES\ListDisplaySettingFeature
- Add the following block (as the other) :

<CustomAction
Id="Bewise.ListDisplaySetting"
RegistrationType="List"
RegistrationId="120"
GroupId="GeneralSettings"
Location="Microsoft.SharePoint.ListEdit"
Sequence="2000"
Title="Display settings (powered by Bewise)" >
<UrlAction Url="~site/_layouts/ListDisplaySetting.aspx?List={ListId}"/>
</CustomAction>

- Save the file
- From "Site setting", deactivate feature
- From Windows Command promp :
- Go to folder C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\Bin
- Run the following command line :
STSADM -o uninstallfeature -name ListDisplaySettingFeature -force
- Then run this one
STSADM -o installfeature -name ListDisplaySettingFeature -force

- Go to your site setting and activate the feature. The menu item "List Display ..." should be available on "Custom List in Datasheet View" setting page.

Suchii

Mar 18, 2008 at 6:53 PM
I was wrong when I said the workaround did not work. After I did an iisreset, the workaround does indeed let me hide fields from users. I have custom listforms that I created in SharePoint Designer, and the display settings feature only seems to affect the default listforms, but with this new functionality, I plan on reverting to the default listforms anyway (custom listforms break attachment functionality). It would be handy to have the link in the List Settings page, but by going to the List Settings for my Service Requests list, I can see the ListId in the address bar, and I can use micky78's suggested workaround of <siteurl>/layouts/ListDisplaySetting.aspx?List={List_guid} to use this on a custom list from an application template (in my case, the Service Requests list from the Help Desk application template).

My List Settings page for the Service Requests list is http://my.sharepointsite.com/helpdesk/layouts/listedit.aspx?List=%7B3CD505E4%2D659A%2D4B70%2DBA08%2DE2DFB2C80175%7D and my Display Settings page is http://my.sharepointsite.com/helpdesk/layouts/ListDisplaySetting.aspx?List={3CD505E4-659A-4B70-BA08-E2DFB2C80175}. You do need to replace certain things for the GUID, but it's pretty straightforward:
My GUID from the first URL is %7B3CD505E4%2D659A%2D4B70%2DBA08%2DE2DFB2C80175%7D
By replacing the hex values %7B, %2D, and %7D with their respected values {,-, and }, the URL encoding is removed, and...
the new GUID for hte same list is {3CD505E4-659A-4B70-BA08-E2DFB2C80175}

I just created a link in an administrative section of my site that points to my Display Settings for the list I needed, so this workaround works great for me.

Thanks to mickey78 for the suggested workaround and Suchii for developing this feature. This is an absolute Godsend. I've been searching for a way to do this for months!

-Derek Brown (dbrown@v1corp.com)
Sr System Engineer
Vision One IT Consulting
May 31, 2010 at 7:23 PM
Edited May 31, 2010 at 7:50 PM
Suchii wrote:
Hi,

This feature can't work for all type of lists due to the developpment solution ... sorry.

Can you elaborate? Basically, my situation is that we have a custom list "service requests", which i believe is a built in sharepoint template. Your feature does not seem to work for this.

Do you have another work around? I can do the GUID thing, but i want a menu item so that everyone else who uses the site can also access it (without a trick). Otherwise i will have to create a custom list and then manually import all the fields in. I am going to do that now, but on an existing site, that would be alot of work/ not possible.

any suggestions?

EDIT:
Actually, i just got it to work! You just need to get the Registration ID from your sharepoint list template, [Create list -> custom lists -> Service Requests] and get the "ListTemplate" ID using mouse over hover. Then you simply modify the file above, ( from C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\TEMPLATE\FEATURES\ListDisplaySettingFeature\listdisplaysetting.xml ) and add the block of code (from suchii post above) to the end, which specifies the list ID (mine was 7151). Then perform the rest of the steps in SUCHII's post, deactivate control, reinstall feature, etc.

Works great now!