Issues Solved - Wont install on x64, doesn't filter or work properly

Apr 6, 2009 at 10:09 AM
Hi everyone

This is a fantastic piece of work, I was very happy when I discovered it and integrated it on our WSS installation 6 months ago.
When used with WSS 3 / Server 2003 it works a charm. However, when we attempted to upgrade to MOSS 2007 running on Server 2008 (x64), it turned out to be an absolute nightmare.

After a lot of trial and error, I have discovered the full set of steps required to get this working on Server 2008 (x64) and MOSS
It's basically a combination of steps present at http://www.codeplex.com/SPListDisplaySetting/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=24431 and http://www.codeplex.com/SPListDisplaySetting/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=23927

(Note: these steps are to eb executed directly on the MOSS server)

1) Do NOT run the installer - it's only extremely basic and doesn't work properly in a non W2K3 environment.

2) Extract all the files installer like this:
2a) Copy SPListDisplaySetting.msi to C:\
2b) Make an empty directory in C:\, called 'SPListDisplay'
2c) Start -> Run, type "msiexec /a c:\SPListDisplaySetting.msi /qn TARGETDIR="c:\SPListDisplay"

3) Install the Web Part manually
3a) Open a CMD window
3b) CD to the 12\bin\stsadm.exe - "CD %CommonProgramFiles%\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\BIN\"
      (skip this step if STSADM is in your PATH) 
3c) Add the Feature to Sharepoint - stsadm.exe -o addsolution -filename C:\Bewise.SharePoint.SPListDisplaySetting.wsp
3d) Deploy the feature, use Central Admin/Operations/Solution Management (my preference) or via the CMD window - stsadm.exe -o deploysolution -nameBewise.SharePoint.SPListDisplaySetting.wsp -global -allowgacdeployment -allcontenturls

4) Modify DefaultTemplates.ascx
4a) Open C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\TEMPLATE\CONTROLTEMPLATES\DefaultTemplates.ascx in a text editor, preferably one with line numbers
4b) Insert this code at Line 7 - <%@ Register TagPrefix="Bewise" Assembly="Bewise.SharePoint.SPListDisplaySetting, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=ff7b91f6a8ac16d4" namespace="Bewise.SharePoint.SPListDisplaySetting" %>
      (after the 2 RegisterTagPrefix lines relating to the Toolbars
4c) REPLACE Line 120 (currently <SharePoint:ListFieldIterator runat="server"/> with this - <Bewise:ListDisplaySettingIterator runat="server"/>

5) Reset IIS - back in your CMD window, type "iisreset" and wait for the operation to complete
    (If it does not, check the Event Viewer)

6) Activate the feature
6a) From the root/parent site, go to Site Settings -> Site collection features and click 'Activate' next to "Display settings (powered by BeWise)

Thats it, should be working. I can confirm a large (>2.4 GB) site backued up from WSS and restored to MOSS, containing 17 different Lists (some Custom, some from the fantastic 40 template) are all working properly with this feature now after following the above instructions.

I know that a lot of this isn't new to these discussions, but I got BOTH main problems people talk about (cannot install on x64, and once installed the toolbars disappear) and given the incredible frustration I had getting this working properly I thought a simple step-by-step tutorial might be useful to others.

Good luck
Apr 20, 2009 at 12:33 PM
You sir are a genius!  Thank you very much.  I had a problem trying to install the feature onto a farm but I couldn't get it to work in a list as the fields would always show regardless of the setting I chose.  It turned out that the DefaultTemplates.ascx file on the front-end web servers had not been updated.  Your instructions worked a treat.

Cheers again.
Pete.
May 20, 2009 at 8:36 PM
Edited May 20, 2009 at 8:44 PM

thanks for you steps.

I could not get the solution actually working. i have 4 servers farm and the soltuion i deployed on allthe server , I updated the ascx files in all the 4 servers.

I cna see this link  Display Settings (Powered by Bewise) in generall settings , was able to do my needed custom setting , but actually they wont work.

This is strange it work4ed in 32 bit dev server.  This is very important , I am planning to compile this code on 64 bit machine and redeploy, hope fully this will be a fix. BTW Any pointer  is appreciated.

<%@ Register TagPrefix="Bewise" Assembly="Bewise.SharePoint.SPListDisplaySetting, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=ff7b91f6a8ac16d4" namespace="Bewise.SharePoint.SPListDisplaySetting" %><%@ Register TagPrefix="wssuc" TagName="ToolBar" src="~/_controltemplates/ToolBar.ascx" %>

<Bewise:ListDisplaySettingIterator runat="server"/>

thanks

dllconfig

Sep 17, 2009 at 4:55 PM

I've been in the process of migrating to 64-bit servers, and a few months ago got this working on 2 of my new servers. I recently replaced one of them, and haev been unable to get it to work on that server. I get no error pages, and i'm able to go in and set the display settings, but they dont change the list forms. I've made the same changes, and actually copied over the defaulttemplates file and the dll from the working server. Is there anything else?

Thanks!

-Dallas

Nov 18, 2009 at 11:14 AM
Edited Jan 15, 2010 at 12:44 PM

Wanna share my success with all of you. I too had issue with this feature on 64bit MOSS with Win2008 64bit.

Now if you go straight and install your MOSS installation and install the feature, make the changes like miles08 says, it may not work on the first shot. For some reason i kept my 32bit MOSS installation that i had to migrate to a 64bit MOSS, and i had it working on my 32bit machine, the bewise feature. What i did, is i took the Template/ControlTemplates folder from my 32bit installation where i have the feature working, and drag/drop onto my Templates folder/ControlTemplates on my 64bit installation. I just did a refresh on the page and it worked.

I have been playing with this for two months, had done 5 test migration installations, and 3 days before we start to migrate, on our last final migration try, it killed me when i did a clean windows installation, clean MOSS installation... it just didn't wanna work and i followed every step from miles08 says. In the end i just dragged/dropped the templates/ControlTemplates folder and it happened.

I suggest you do this in a demo situation before you start actually doing it. We succsessfully migrated from 32bit standalone to 64bit farm SharePoint.

I hope this works on MOSS 2010 :)

Jan 11, 2010 at 1:18 AM
Edited Jan 11, 2010 at 3:54 PM

Thanks..

Jan 14, 2010 at 3:07 PM

Thanks babylonsr. I have installed the steps above and have a similar problem. Where is the templates/layouts folder found? I can't seem to find is in SPD or on the server. I would like to try your solution.

Thank you,

Jan 15, 2010 at 12:49 PM

Sorry for my previous post, have ment one thing and typed other.  I have corrected it. :(

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\TEMPLATE\CONTROLTEMPLATES   This is on the web server where MOSS is installed.

Just copy your folder from 32bit paste it on your 64bit. But before you do it, try to install the SpListDisplaySettings as it is described on the first post.

Don't forget to try it on test area. If you need help let me know.

Jan 15, 2010 at 9:33 PM

babylonsr - We did deploy the steps in the first post, and the application is active and we can set up the protection on the fields, but it just won't work on the 64bit server.

This solution does work on our 32bit sandbox\testing server. What would happen if I copied the controltemplates folder from there? Is the folder server dependent? I will probably copy the original 64bit control templates folder to a backup and then replace the folder. I'm assuming if something went wrong, I could replace it with the original folder?

Thanks again for your help.

Jan 19, 2010 at 8:39 AM

Hi CreteCarrier,

Did you manage to make it work? I believe the folder files are not much different talking about the server architecture (32bit or 64bit files are the same). If you try what you wrote, that's almost what i did. Just drag and drop from 32bit test machine to the 64bit test machine. In all cases do it in test environment.

Let me know if you have done it.

Jan 22, 2010 at 8:57 PM

I have followed all the instructions posted here, and the solution is installed. However it does not do anything, am i missing something? I can go to the columns and change there display setting but they still show. what about all the .dll file in the extracted msi?  should i be doing somethingwith those?

Mar 30, 2010 at 6:20 PM

You can tryout Infowise Smart List Pro which can run on WSS 3.0 & MOSS 2007 (Has a SharePoint 2010 version also) and works fine on 64 bit OS (Windows 2003 & 2008)

Smart List Pro extend the SharePoint lists & document libraries, and gives them abilities like - field/column permissions, default values, view permissions, tabbed interface and much more.

http://www.infowisesolutions.com/product.aspx?id=SmartListPro