Broken Listform Manager

Mar 13, 2008 at 4:16 AM
I installed this on a WSS 3.0 server, and it seemed kind of hit and miss. It worked fine on the top level site (based on the Team site template), and the Contacts subsite (based on the Contact Management application template), but it did not seem to do anything on the Help Desk subsite (based on the IT Workspace application template). Since that was the site I wanted this feature on the most, and it wasn't working, I ran the uninstaller, and it generated an error:
---
Error 1001. An execution error occurred while uninstalling. This exception will be ignored and the uninstall will now continue. However, the application might not be fully uninstalled after the uninstall is complete. --> Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
---
I clicked OK, and the uninstaller finished, but it was not removed from Add/Remove Programs...and it broke my lists. Every list on my WSS 3.0 server is now missing the top action bar (New, Actions, Settings), and if I try to type the URL for any listforms (Newform.aspx, EditForm.aspx, DispForm.aspx) or the list settings page, I just get a generic SharePoint error. It says: "Error. An unexpected error has occurred." This listform corruption is farm-wide, affecting even my Central Administration site.

Since the uninstall seemed to cause the problem, I tried to do a repair install, which also seems to fail. I get an error that says:
---
Error 1001. Install is not able to update SharePoint manager file. The Listform manager is not standard.
---

Can you tell me how I might be able to restore the standard Listform manager? Or maybe just tell me what steps to take to manualy install or uninstall the feature?

-Derek Brown
dbrown@v1corp.com
Mar 13, 2008 at 5:06 AM
In case anyone else runs into this, I have temporarily corrected the problem (from preliminary tests anyway). I navigated to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\TEMPLATE\CONTROLTEMPLATES, and edited the DefaultTemplates.ascx file. By searching for and removing all lines referencing anything 'Bewise' (there were only 2 lines), I got my toolbar back. It still wont let me uninstall or repair my current installation, as I get the errors mentioned above.
Coordinator
Mar 13, 2008 at 9:11 PM
Hi,

First, sorry to see you have uninstall problems. Can you give me more information about your server settings (Windows version, services pack, language) and, if you can, give me the error message from the Events Viewer. With theses information, I'll try to see where is the problem.

Next, to correctly uninstall the feature (manually), you can do :
- Deactivate the feature using this command line (from sharepoint bin folder) : STSADM -o deactivatefeature -name ListDisplaySettingFeature -url <your site url>
- Uninstall feature with the command line : STSADM -o uninstallfeature -name ListDisplaySettingFeature
- Restaure DefaultTemplate.ascx : During installation process, a backup of the original "DefaultTemplate.ascx" file is created (named "Defaultmanagers.ascx.bewise"). So, remove your file "DefaultTemplate.ascx" and rename the file "Defaultmanagers.ascx.bewise" to "Defaultmanagers.ascx"
- Remove the assembly from the GAC : Go to "C:\Windows\Assembly" and uninstall "Bewise.SharePoint.SPListDisplaySetting" assembly.
- To finish, run IISRESET to recycle all SharePoint Application Pool.

These operations will entirly restaure your SharePoint environment.

I wait for your information.

Suchii
(If you prefer, you can send me information directly to laurent.cotton@bewise.fr)
Mar 18, 2008 at 12:49 PM
It looks like your uninstaller took care of all of these steps with the exception of restoring the DefaultTemplate.ascx file to its original. I renamed DefaultTemplates.aspx to DefaultTemplates-broken.aspx, and renamed DefaultManagers.ascx.bewise to DefaultTemplates.aspx, and that restored the missing toolbar. It wasn't until later (after my last post) that I realized this did not restore the default listform templates (Newform/Editform/Dispform.aspx) for non-custom lists. By deleting DefaultTemplates-broken.aspx and restarting IIS, the default listforms were restored as well. I assumed that SharePoint only processed specific ascx files in the TEMPLATES directory, but it seems that it will attempt to load all ascx files in that directory, and my DefaultTemplates-broken.ascx was causing a conflict.

Thanks for the help in cleaning this up! :)

-Derek
Mar 26, 2008 at 1:12 PM
I uninstalled have error "Error 1001. Install is not able to update SharePoint manager file. The Listform manager is not standard."
I try force uninstall. But now i can't reinstall SPListDisplaySetting. I have error "Error 1001. Install is not able to update SharePoint manager file. The Listform manager is not standard." again. How to reinstall after have error?
Coordinator
Mar 26, 2008 at 5:34 PM
During installation process, a backup of the original "DefaultTemplate.ascx" file is created (named "Defaultmanagers.ascx.bewise"). So, remove your file "DefaultTemplate.ascx" and rename the file "Defaultmanagers.ascx.bewise" to "Defaultmanagers.ascx". "These files are in C:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\web server extension\12\templates\controltemplates\" folder.

Then, run IISRESET.

Suchii
Mar 27, 2008 at 1:41 AM
How to reInstall SPListDisplaySetting after i uninstall it? I can't reinstall error "Error 1001. Install is not able to update SharePoint manager file. The Listform manager is not standard." always appear
Coordinator
Mar 27, 2008 at 10:10 AM
Oups, I said something wrong in my last reply.
The file "Defaultmanagers.ascx.bewise" must be rename to DefaultTemplate.ascx ... sorry

Then run IISRESET.
Mar 27, 2008 at 11:02 AM
Thanks! I moved file name "Defaultmanagers.ascx" and copied file old "Defaultmanagers.ascx". Now i can reinstall.
May 7, 2008 at 8:15 AM
Edited May 7, 2008 at 8:16 AM
Hi,

today i had the same problem. With the discriptions above i was able to fix it.
Is there any possibility to fix this problem with the missing top nav bar so i can get this very useful feature working ?

Greets
Marco
May 19, 2008 at 3:18 PM
Hello Suchii,

Thanks for both Bewise useful tools. I am having the exact same problem with SPListDisplaySetting  (the SPViewPermissions works excellent).

Please let us know when you spot it and manage to fix it.

Makis

Jun 17, 2008 at 3:18 PM
Hi,
    I have installed the solution on one front end in the farm. And I had lot of problems mentioned in other posts and this post too. I deactivated the feature and removed the solution from my farm manuall using stsadm. And using the C:\Program Files\Bewise\SPListDisplaySetting\Bewise.SharePoint.SPListDisplaySetting.wsp solution files I installed the solution on to the farm using stsadm manually. It installed the feature on both the servers and the feature is working fine.

Thanks,
Bhuvan.
Nov 20, 2008 at 3:20 AM
Hi

Thanks for this product Suchii. The idea is excellent and it seems many people are having success with it.

However, I am one who is having trouble with it. After I installed the ViewPermissions webpart, it did not appear in the Site Features section of SharePoint. Also my New item/etc toolbar disappeared. I encountered Error 1001 whenever I tried to remove/repair/install the webpart. So then I went through the instructions posted by Derekius on Mar 18 and have been met with partial success. The New item/etc toolbar has been restored, as with the New/Disp/Edit forms but the View menu remains blank. I cannot switch through Views and this is really annoying me. If anyone could give me some information on this or a possible fix, that would be great.

Thanks for your consideration.
Feb 6, 2009 at 7:56 PM
Hi,

I have installed this, and can see it working great on the all Forms: Edit, Display and New.  The only thing is in the List view Page (allitems.aspx) I can still see the fields which I hide in those forms. Is this the way it works or I miss something?

Thanks,-Yang
Feb 17, 2009 at 5:14 PM
AllItems.aspx is a View, not a Form.  This feature doesn't really affect the view itself.  As far as I can tell, this feature only hides the fields on the Forms, but does not modify any permissions.  Since the feature doesn't modify the Views, and technically users still have permission to read the field, you can't hide it without creating additional Views.

Please correct me if I am wrong on this, as I don't claim to be a SharePoint guru by any means.  This is just what I have seen in my experience with the same issue.  I had a buddy of mine create a user control in VS that checks role membership, and redirects the user to the appropriate view based on whethe they are an admin or not.  Then I used SmartPart to embed the user control on a new View, and set it to the default.  The View itself doesn't have anything on it, since you should never really see that page (it just redirects you).

I would elaborate on this setup, but I'm not much of a programmer, and my friend was quite reluctant to do anything with SharePoint, so it was hard enough to get it done.
Apr 15, 2009 at 12:41 PM
Hi,
got SPListDisplaySetting working using the tips mentioned in
"Issues Solved - Wont install on x64, doesn't filter or work properly" but ran into the issue with the disappearing toolbar. I switched back the DefaultTemplates.ascx file and removed the webpart successfully but still no toolbar visible for lists.

Any idea on how to address / restore it to the original functionality?

Any help appreciated
Aug 24, 2010 at 6:23 PM

Hi.  We've been using this feature successfully on several sites in our site collection.  However, today, i wanted to attempt to hide the TITLE field on a custom list, and when I did so, accessing items in the list results in an error.  When I deactivate the site collection feature Display Settings (powered by Bewise), I am again able to access list items through edit forms.

Any idea how to correct this?  I simply get the following:

An Unexpected error has occurred.

Again - i can disable the feature and that fixes my problem, but I was intending to hide some fields in this site. 

Where is the configuration info for the hidden fields stored?  An XML file?  Somewhere in a list?  I'm unable to look at the source code due to not having a copy of Visual Studio.

Thanks in advance.